This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for more information
Oh, the weather outside is NOT frightful…it’s actually quite delightful! Indian Summer is in full force up here in the Mitten, and I’m soaking up every bit of it that I can! I’m not looking forward to the days of snow shoveling, 5 pm darkness, and negative wind chills. I’m preparing for it though, by getting some yummy, easy, hot meals in my dinner arsenal. Last week I tried out Stonemill Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew Seasoning Mix.
I wanted this to be an authentic test, so I actually dusted off my slow cooker after months of it being in the cupboard! (I have just been a little obsessed with my Instant Pot.) The recipe was super simple to follow, and I even used these slow cooker liners which made clean up a snap!
- Put 2 lbs of stew meat in to your slow cooker. ALDI sells packs of stew meat in store, and they are approximately a pound each, give or take. Bonus: They are already cubed for you! So I buy two packs and call it good.
- Add 5 cups cut up fresh veggies – I have cooked this twice now and have used a mix of carrots, celery, onion, frozen corn, and mushrooms! The package also mentions adding potatoes, but I cook mine on the side since my husband is trying to watch his carbs. Potatoes would be fab in this though!
- Mix the seasoning packet and 1 1/3 cups water together. Pour over everything else, stir to coat, cover, and cook on LOW for 8 hours (or 4 hours on HIGH)
Voila! Go do your thing for the day, and come home to a hot delicious dinner, and a delicious smelling home! I like to keep my veggies big to avoid mushiness, I just cut them with the side of my spoon/fork while I’m eating. I also have some short people in the house who have aversions to certain veggies. This way they can pick around the ones they don’t like when scooping out a bowl.
This seasoning mix is an ALDI Find and also comes in BBQ Pulled Pork and Savory Pot Roast varieties. Each packet is only $0.79 and is a life saver when trying to take the guess work out of figuring out which spices to add to your stew. These will only be in stores while supplies last, so be sure to pick a few up to tide you over this fall and winter.
The ALDI Nerd Grade: B
- A = Excellent! I LOVE this product!
- B = Good! I really like this!
- C = This is just okay. I just kind of like this.
- D = Not Great. I’ll keep it, but probably won’t buy another.
- F = BUMMER! I’ll probably return this to the store.