You don’t know how excited I am to make the perfect iced coffee in my very own home, with very little effort! Barissimo Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate hit the ALDI Find shelves a few weeks ago, but I just picked up one for myself a couple in the past couple days.
It comes in 2 varieties (Original and French Roast), and runs $7.49 for a 32 oz bottle. May sound expensive, but this stuff is concentrated! This little jug makes Sixteen 6-oz cups of coffee…that’s only $0.47 a serving. If you’re not in to strong coffee, you may even be able to stretch it a little further. I don’t frequent the fancy coffee-shops too often, but I know a “Tall” is 12 oz. I can’t imagine that you’re going to find a small iced coffee for less than a buck ANYWHERE.
So what is Cold Brew Coffee? Normally, when you make a cup of joe, you pop the grounds in your coffeemaker (this one is mine by the way, and I love it!), the water gets super hot and drips through the coffee grounds and in to the pot to brew the coffee. The Cold Brew technique involves no heat whatsoever. Beans are steeped in cool water for several hours (like 18-24 hours!!). While this isn’t quick like brewing it hot in the coffeemaker, Cold Brew Coffee is supposed to be more naturally rich, sweet, with lower acidity. I supposed you could make your own concentrate at home, but I’ve heard it’s messy and time-consuming. I already have a big, messy, house and very little time, so this Barissimo CBC Concentrate is perfect.
How did I make my perfect iced coffee? The basic recipe is to use 1 part CBC concentrate to 2 parts liquid (milk, creamer, water, etc.) This is exactly what I did, but feel free to switch it up to suit your tastes.
- Grab a mason jar (or any drinking device. I like the mason jar because it has measuring lines right on it!)
- Pour in 2 oz. of Barissimo Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
- Pour in a 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite coffee creamer (I used Friendly Farms Italian Sweet Cream Coffee Creamer) (optional)
- Fill the mason jar up to the 6 oz line with cold water. (If you’re not using a jar add 3-4 oz of cold water)
- Throw in a few ice cubes and enjoy!
If you find this way to be too strong, add extra water a little bit at a time to weaken it. If you find this to not be strong enough, just add a little less liquid. I wouldn’t recommend drinking it straight out of the bottle, unless you want to be awake for days…ha!
So this stuff is awesome! Be sure to pop it in the fridge after opening, for up to 30 days.
The ALDI Nerd Grade: A
- A = Excellent! I LOVE this product!
- B = Good! I really like this!
- C = This is just okay. I like it, but it’s nothing new or exciting.
- D = Not Great. I’ll keep it, but probably won’t buy another.
- F = BUMMER! I’ll probably return this to the store
What’s your favorite way to prepare your coffee?