Some years back, I was committed to eating less meat and discovered a whole world of delicious foods in the process. Lentils, quinoa, tofu, and black eyed peas are just few of the foods I discovered. This Black Eyed Pea Tacos recipe from Martha Stewart has since been one of my favorites!
Now, I have taken Martha’s awesome recipe and adapted it so I can cook it in the Instant Pot! It seems to take about the same amount of time cooking it in my Instant Pot vs. the stove, but the real kicker was I was able to use DRIED black eyed peas, when I normally use canned when making Martha’s recipe. The dried black eyed peas:
- Did not require any pre-soaking before cooking in the Instant Pot.
- Are more economical than canned.
- Provided a better texture, in my opinion, than the canned ones do.
Depending on what kind of toppings you add at the end, this meal is vegetarian AND vegan! All these ingredients are available at ALDI too.
On your next shopping trip, be sure to go buy:
- 3 tablespoons oil (I used Carlini Grapeseed Oil)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (leave in ribs and seeds for more heat OR reduce to 1 jalapeno for less heat)
- 2 teaspoons Stonemill Essentials Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup Dakota’s Pride Dry Black Eyed Peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 bunches of cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups Season’s Choice Frozen Corn
- Set Instant Pot to Saute Mode (medium). When display reads “HOT”, add oil, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and salt. Cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Turn off pot. Add water and black eyed peas to pot. Give a quick stir.
- Put lid on pot and set valve to sealing. Cook on Manual (high) for 30 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, do a Quick Pressure Release.
- Remove lid and set pot to Saute Mode (low). Add in corn and chopped cilantro. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5-10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve on corn or flour tortillas.
I also love to eat mine on its own with feta cheese, especially on a night like tonight when my mom brain forgot that we had NO tortillas in the house! Oops!
No Instant Pot? No worries! This is super simple to make on your stove as well! Just head on over to Martha’s page to get instructions to make the original recipe using canned black eyed peas.